Saturday, 14 January 2012

Microwave chocolate sponge pudding




Broadly-speaking, I don't really put recipes on here that don't work because I don't think there's any point. Why do you want to know about something that you aren't going to make? But I think there is some relevance in including recipes here that don't work if I think you are in danger of coming across them and making them and getting yourself into a pickle - hence the Jamie griddle waffles of the previous post.

This is another recipe that isn't that great, although it's not from Jamie. It's a chocolate sponge pudding that you make in the microwave from a book called My Daddy Cooks and if you had the book and came across it and like chocolate you'd definitely be in danger of having a crack at it.

I really don't want to give the wrong impression about this book, as it's generally good-looking and inspiring and I very much recommend it, especially but not exclusively if you've got children. On reflection, I've been a bit unfair, maybe, cooking this - it could never be that terrific. I think it's the lack of eggs that does it, you end up with quite a dry thing. Although it's perfectly amusing to make a cake in the microwave, I wouldn't make it again.

Microwave chocolate sponge
Makes a huge amount - for 4 starving adults or 6 starving children

55g butter
200g self-raising flour
170g caster sugar
55g cocoa powder
180ml milk
a few drops vanilla essence
110g soft brown sugar

1 In a large non-metallic bowl melt the butter for about 30-40 secs (depending on how warm it was when you started).

2 Sift in the flour, add teh caster sugar, half the cocoa powder, the milk and the vanilla extract and stir it all together well until you get a cake batter

3 Mix the brown sugar and the rest of the cocoa powder together and sprinkle over the top

4 Pour over 275ml boiling water but don't mix in. It will look an utterly mad and disgusting mess by now, which is normal

5 Put it in the microwave for 7 minutes. Leave to cool for a bit but then eat straightaway because on cooling completely this will collapse and turn into rubber.

10 comments:

  1. I made this exact same recipe but it found on the delicious magazine's website -
    http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/self-saucing-chocolate-pudding
    I've always found it to be soo delicious and an amazingly quick pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Oh well. Thought this one was yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't see the point in making this when the Waitrose own brand versions are so cheap and yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made a Nigella version from I think How to Eat, it was ok, but much the same as microwaving a chocolate pudding you find in Poundland. Also, it had an odd combination of being so stupidly hot it burned your mouth, slightly burned and charred on the edges and slightly undercooked inside.

    I haven't rushed to make it since...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Wormella, we've made Nigella's Seven-Minute Steamed Chocolate Pudding from How to Eat (originally from Barbara Kafka's Microwave Gourmet), but several times, as it has worked out pretty well for us. However, we only serve it at meals for 8-10 people as an easily-made standby for those fussy eaters who will only touch chocolate and not the main, fancier dessert. I reckon it's worth trying once, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loathe what microwaves do to food. They just nuke everything. Jacket potatoes emerge looking beaten up and depressed; porridge always explodes, coating the sides with molten-hot, oaty sludge... I have, as a result, banished mine to the garage. Because I know when I'm beaten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also an incredible microwave option is the failsafe brownie in a mug. No weighing needed, serve with copious amounts of whipped cream or dollop of ice cream.

    2 tbsp plain flour
    4 tbsp caster sugar
    1 tbsp cocoa
    2 tbsp whisked egg (perfect amount!) (one large egg will make 3 mugs of brownies)
    1 tbsp milk
    2 tbsp softened butter
    splash of vanilla

    Add all dry ingredients to mug.
    Add butter.
    Add milk and vanilla.
    Add egg last.
    Mix well.

    Microwave for approx 1 1/2 mins (or a little less if you like it more gooey like me).

    Eat. Enjoy. Complain about getting fat. Eat another one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure I would ever microwave a chocolate sponge. But, have made a very quick lemon sponge in the microwave which turned out great. Covered it with cling film which seemed to make it steam and not dry out....
    Enjoyed your tweets about leaf blower today ;-]

    ReplyDelete
  9. what watts does your microwave have to be

    ReplyDelete
  10. God you actually want to make it?? Dave you are mad. My m/w is pathetic, about 600w

    ReplyDelete