Wednesday, 21 July 2010

Chicken and chorizo bake


Most people have a word or words they can't remember. My Dad can't remember the name of the computer operating system "Linux". My friend Dee couldn't for years tell the difference between "Accessorize" and "Claire's Accessories", calling them, always, "Accessories" and "Claire's Accessorize". It drove me fucking nuts.

When I first met my husband, I casually pronounced "chorizo" "chorit-zo". He quickly told me that that was for idiots who said "haitch" instead "aitch" and called "Ibiza" "Ibit-za".

"Either chorrrr-eeee-tho," he said, glaring at me, "or chorrr-eeee-zzzoh. Just not 'choritzo'. Please."

But from that moment on I was so stressed about not getting it wrong, that I got it wrong. It got to a point where when I wanted to say the word in front of my husband I would start and say "chorrrrr-iiiii-eeeee" hedging my bets a bit, looking at him from under my eyelashes, willing him to help me out.

"eeee-zoh?" He would finish off.

He was always pretty patient about it, given that my husband is at times such a lazy thinker that he'll say sentences like "If you ask me, if you buy a roof over a restaurant you've got to expect noise from the pub" and consistently presses "reply" on emails when he wanted to press "forward" (if you think about it, this has the most potential for disaster of any mis-type on an email).

Anyway, I've nailed it now. So much so that I have CHOR-EEEEE-ZOH in my fridge almost at all times. Yesterday, I baked it in a pan with chicken thighs, mushrooms and sour cream, which worked really well, with the added bonus that it was damned easy.

For 2

4 chicken thighs
2 in of CHOR-EEEEE-ZOH, diced into 2cm ish cubes
a large handful of button mushrooms, if you've got some
four large tablespoons of sour cream
salt and pepper

1 Brown the thighs really well in some groundnut oil. If you get the skin quite brown and crispy at this stage, it will go crunchy and lovely in the oven
2 Place in an oven dish, scatter over the CHOR-EEEE-ZOH and then mushrooms and then dollop the sour cream around the chicken, not on top
3 Season the thighs well with salt and pepper
4 Shove in the oven at 180 for 1 hr

13 comments:

  1. Where have you been you slacker, I've been waiting for days for some activity. Don't you know your constant readers have expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I'm sorry. I do have very good reason(s), which I will describe at length soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you've always got some kind of cool excuse...

    ... my partner hit me hard once for telling him how to pronounce 'goujons' and then telling him they were just like posh fish fingers... i'm amazed G stayed in one piece...

    LOVE LOVE LOVE a roasted chicken thigh recipe it's a firm favorite in our household, so any way to change or add is most welcome... x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry and just pronouce it as my mum does - chez-argh-oe. She refuses to say it any other way. My husband & I were formerly in the chorit-zo camp but are now converts....remember mother always knows best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So... it may be that I tried this recipe after a long day of a free bar but whilst the chicken was ace, the mixture that went with it resembled cottage cheese. Hmm - guess I did something wrong? Was the oven too hot do you think? Tasted nice though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah sour cream and yoghurt tend to split and go a bit cottage cheesy in high temperatures, but it doesn't mean anything bad... x

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have not been able to eat for two weeks since I am reliant on your blogs to feed my family and the social services are getting arsey with me. Please publish today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh God, sorry PhilJ. I've been so useless, it's a combination of problems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, love the blog. Tell me is that the kitchen in your home page, that Giles was whining about a while back in his Times column when he ate nothing but take out for months and months ? Nice job ,looks great. Love the recipe. Check out my blog for various rantings on recipes, veg growing and the odd spot on Sport !
    KG.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sorting out my dinner plans for tonight, this looks delish!

    I've always said 'chorizio' and until this moment never noticed that there's absolutely no 'i' after the z. The shame!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very good Chilean recipe! I love it as it makes chicken a lot more interesting. I discovered it the first time when some Enlgish friends of ours decided to move to Santiago. Thanks for reminding me of this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love cooking chicken & chorizo like this, it works so well. Of course a glass of fino is required too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came across your blog a few days ago and made this last night....huge success. My husband and I were clashing forks trying to scrape the crusty bits off the sides of the baking dish. I actually made it with skinless thighs (the chicken, not mine) in order to feel less guilty about the chorizo and it worked fine. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete