Thursday, 14 January 2010

Back from the dead

I'd like to take a moment, if I may, to deviate, briefly, from food. It's because I haven't really been able to eat much for a while and so haven't posted anything. The other day, the spectre of my semi-abandoned blog made me so depressed that I deleted it.

I thought no more about it until the lovely Claire B Twittered me to ask me where it was. Well hell, I thought, if one person is reading it, that makes it worthwhile.

But the not eating thing is a bit of a problem. I've been a bit stressed lately and most things turn to ashes in my mouth, or make me sick. I've written here before, boringly and at length, about how I am cursed with being anxious, fearful and weedy and, alas, all it takes is small application of pressure on my scared little head and nothing can pass my lips for weeks. I guess you could call that lucky: some people gorge themselves at the slightest provocation - sadness, stress, anxiety - I on the other hand, sit on the stairs and fade away. It doesn't make me much of a foodie, I suppose.

I'll get back to the food, in time. I bought for myself before Christmas a Jamie Oliver cookbook and the Ottolenghi cookbook - I'm also going to India on holiday for a bit, where I hope to bring back more easy peasy Keralan curries.

For now, though, the only thing that seems to go down okay is a cup of tea with sugar in it. I'm on my third of the day.

12 comments:

  1. Don't waste away. How about a soup in a cup? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a bad idea. My fiancee won't have pot noodles in the house, which is a shame as they are great in emergencies just such as these - enough salt, fat and carbohydrate to keep you alive for six months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would totally recommend soup - it's the perfect winter food. I made a whole batch the other day and we've been living off it ever since. V comforting! Hope the pressure eases soon x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Have you tried those instant miso soup packets from the asian supermarket? Or does your fiancee disapprove of them as well? They're incredibly light yet full of flavour, and really low-cal. They keep you going just as the pot noodles do. Hope you'll feel better soon. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey!! it's another Esther. Don't see them often. Welcome. Do you know, I was just thinking about a packet Miso, but none in the house and too snowy to fetch. I might move on to sugary fizzy drinks to keep me alive. God listen to me whinge - while people lie trapped and dying in Haiti... x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear you are in the dumps Miss W. I came to the blog from twitter with the intent of cheering you up by adding another reader to your stats. However, on reading the above post, I thought I'd better leave a perky comment too. (Although we've never met, your fiancee kindly wrote that lovely piece about my mad adventures in Spain which I hope you'll visit one day soon).

    Anyway, in the usual English manner of cheering up, let me explain how it could be worse: first, you could have woken up as I did this morning, fully dressed and dripping wet from an earlier nap in an Oxford snowdrift after an ill-judged pint of absinthe. On waking you could then find your laptop balanced on your chest with a sent email on the screen to a married ex of ten (yes, TEN!) years past, confessing undying love. And, as you shamble towards full consciousness, you could realise that you have an appointment for lunch with your editor in 2 hours in Notting Hill.

    Luckily for me, the clouds parted (with the help of coffee and aspirin), the editor cancelled due to illness, and the ex sent back an email with the phrase "fell off my chair laughing" in the first line.

    So maybe there is a God after all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, no don't go. I haven't heard about Giles' cholent recipe yesterday. Oh, and of course you'll feel better after holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That should say yet, not yesterday. I seem to have issues commenting on your blog. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Esther I don't know you from Adam, but I really like your blog, something about the way you write which is very engaging, so PLEASE DON"T DELETE IT AGAIN. Also, I've been meaning to make a raised pie since the summer when my younger son discovered them (aged 17, how could I have deprived him so long?), and I'll need your posts, because recipe books never tell you everything you need to know, and because it's 21 years since I last made one (for my goddaughter's christening, in a castello just outside Turin).

    Have a lovely holiday

    Joanna x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, Joanna, you are the blood in my veins. RIGHT, raised pies.... do you know, I've learnt so much more about pies since I wrote that post that I've been meaning to update it to clarify a few things. You're quite right, all recipes assume a lot of knowledge about what is a fantastically fraught and complicated process. I'm back from hols on the 28th Jan and will do that and other blog housekeeping then. Thank you so much for being so sweet, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have just discovered your blog too and I'm enjoying it immensely. Do stay.

    ReplyDelete